One reason we love San Diego is the abundance of fresh seasonal and local produce…year-round!
Whether you visit your local farmer’s market each week or are a member of a CSA, there are always plenty of options when it comes choosing to seasonal produce.
And at Landon’s, we’re excited to share with you menu full of fresh, seasonal foods.
In fact, we actually design our menu around which foods are “in season,” which allows us to be creative and cook with the best and freshest seasonal ingredients we can find.
We also encourage you to cook with seasonal foods at home as well. It’s a fun way to teach your kids how and where food is grown (just start talking with the farmer at the farmer’s market!), and gives them a chance to try new fruits and veggies.
Here are a few more reasons why we love seasonal produce!
- It’s more fresh and delicious! In-season produce has the chance to fully and naturally ripen…which means a more robust, flavorful taste when you eat it alone or cook it in a recipe.
- It’s better for the planet. It has been estimated that produce can travel an average of 1500 miles before it is consumed. When you eat seasonal and local foods, there’s a good chance they’re traveling a much shorter distance to get to you.
- It’s more cost effective. Produce that is “in-season,” most likely took less time, effort and energy to grow…so your cost goes down when buying it.
Since Spring has sprung in San Diego, we want to share some of our favorite seasonal produce (and recipes too!) so you can start enjoying the fresh, local foods in your community.
Here is some of the Spring produce to look for at the grocery store or Farmer’s Market:
Look at all those options!
Now, here’s what you can do with some of those fresh ingredients:
- Lemony Snap Peas– a refreshing snack or side dish, perfect for Spring!
- One-Pan Pasta with Ricotta and Artichokes – a yummy dish, but perfect for a busy weeknight.
- Spring Vegetable Stew– this stew gives you a chance to taste all that Spring season produce has to offer…in one pot!
- Pork and Pineapple Fried Rice– a fruity alternative to your typical fried rice. We love the sweet/salty combination of the pineapple and pork.
We hope you enjoy all the abundant seasonal produce this Spring!
Landon’s is set to open in August, so get ready to try some delicious summer produce on our menu too!